For many centuries people have been watching sports, following sports and best of all learning to play sports. The very first sports to ever be recorded were wrestling, running, javelin, polo, and hockey. There are so many more sports today. Sports are one the most popular recreations in history. The year 1900 was the moment when women were finally accepted to join the world of sports. Volleyball was among one of the many sports that women came and took by storm and they completely dominated. The sport was originally known as Mintonette. It was created in 1895 by a man named William G. Morgan.
Volleyball is still today a very popular sport, both indoors and on the beach, which means it is played in a variety of countries and climates.
We would like to share our list of the top 10 women dominating the net.
- Malwina Smarzek who wears the #17 and is known for her killer spikes. She has also on several occasions, scored 30+ points during games in the 2019 volleyball national league.
- Ebrar Karakurt who wears the #99 is a Turkish player who plays the position opposite. She was named one of the best outside spikers in the world tournament.
- Gabriela Braga Guimaraes who wears the # 10 is a Brazilian indoor professional player who plays the position outside spiker. She has won a bronze while playing with her team in the 2013 World Championship.
- Brayelin Elizabeth Martinez who wears the #20 was named the volleyball player of the year in 2013.
- Bethania De La Cruz De Pena who wears the #18 from the Dominican Republic, has won gold when playing with the Dominican Republic National team.
- Andrea Drews who wears the #11 represents the USA in volleyball. She has also played for other countries. She was chosen as MVP in 2019.
- Britt Herbots who wears the #3 is a 20-year-old from Belgium that has exploded on the volleyball court. Her position as a wing spiker gives her the chance to show her mean spike.
- Louisa Lippman who wears the #11 is a German player who plays the position outside hitter or opposite. She holds one gold medal and two silver medals.
- Elena Pietrini who wears the #14 plays Volleyball for Italy. She was part of the 2017 FIVB World Championship.
- Indre Sorokaite who wears the #1 is a native from Italy and plays the position opposite spiker. In 3 short weeks of the volleyball national league she was able to score 24 points against the Netherlands.
Here are a couple honorable mentions to the sport of Women’s Volleyball:
Kerri Walsh Jennings is a four time olympian, along with three time gold medalists. Kerri Jennings also partnered with Misty May Treanor.
Nina Matthies is one of the winningest volleyball players of all time. She was also named coach of the year seven times.
Volleyball has become one of the most popular sports in history and shows no signs of leaving anytime soon!
P.S. Full Commando Shorts are available exclusively at ProVolleyballShorts – If you purchase 4 of them as a package you receive 30% off!!